Taking a few steps this spring to make sure your central AC is ready to go for summer could save you from an expensive AC repair down the line. Before you switch on the central air, you’ll want to look for and correct potential issues. Our Portsmouth air conditioning contractors will be happy to take care of everything on this to-do list for you, and, if anything is amiss, we can perform the air conditioning repair that will ensure you’ll be all set for summer!
If you decide to attempt any air conditioner maintenance on your own, make sure the air conditioner breaker switch is off first!
Portsmouth Prepare-Your-Central Air To-Do List
- Clean condenser fan blades – You don’t want any sort of debris getting in the way of your fan blades. The blades should be wiped clean and any dead leaves and other materials that have gotten sucked inside the AC unit should be vacuumed out. Any plant life that could block airflow to the fan should be trimmed back.
- Clean condenser coils – The condenser coils in your AC unit can become covered with gunk or grease. Our Portsmouth HVAC technicians can remove this gunk with condenser coil spray. It is very important not to accidentally bend the coil fins while cleaning as this will make your air conditioning system less efficient.
- Examine coolant lines – Coolant lines can leak, crimp, or become damaged. If you have a leaky or damaged coolant line, give Energy Pro a call for a replacement. Any damaged insulation on coolant lines will also need to be replaced by an HVAC contractor.
- Check thermostat battery – To ensure that your thermostat functions properly throughout the year it is wise to replace your battery annually.
- Change filter – Before you turn on the air conditioning, it’s important to put in a new, clean filter. This will help your central air conditioning system to perform efficiently.
- Check ductwork – Are there any breaks or damages to your home’s ductwork? In order for your AC unit to properly cool your home, it must be able to successfully deliver the cool air through the ducts. For ductwork sealing and ductwork repairs, call Energy Pro.
This to-do list gives you an idea of just a few things that goes into an air conditioning tune-up. Our technicians perform not only these but many more items with our tune ups. For this reason, we recommend that you hire a professional HVAC technician from our Portsmouth air conditioning company so that you not only avoid the hassle of getting your central AC unit cleaned and ready for summer, but also so that we can quickly make any necessary AC repairs or part replacements at the same time. Right now, we’re offering a $79 complete cooling system tune-up to our Portsmouth, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Suffolk customers, so give Energy Pro a call today!